Monday, November 8, 2010

Day 6 of Thanks…



I am so glad that this topic was picked….topic for Day 6 is Dance


I love to dance. I am not the world's greatest dancer, nowhere even remotely close or even pretend to be.


I have been given so many amazing experiences because my mom and dad decided they needed me out of their hair for awhile when I was 3 J


I learned tap, jazz, ballet, pointe, and hip hop. I loved that I learned a little of everything. It truly has helped me along the way to not specialize in 1 style.


I have danced in so many different groups. I danced for Pamela's dance studio growing up. Pam pushed and pushed us to be "our" best. She is an incredible teacher and a person. I am so glad that I still get to have her around now. She is actually Jayci's teacher this year and I love it.


I danced at Dance Biz. I loved dancing there. I only danced there 2 short years, but there is not a time that Diane Powell doesn't walk up and hug me when she sees me. One performance that really stands out is the Christmas Performance at Shiners Hospital. I was only in 8th grade and I left that performance just crying. Crying because I was healthy enough to stand there and dance for them and those sweet kids loved every minute of it and just kept saying Thank You. I will never forget that feeling.


I danced all through school. I was on Dance Club at Brockbank, and yes I know you will all be jealous when I tell you I was President my 9th grade year ;) I was a Spinnaker all 3 years at Cyprus. Spinnakers taught me so much discipline and pushed me far beyond what I ever thought possible. We were able to perform at the ceremony when they announced the Olympics for Salt Lake. I danced in California and Hawaii. I loved it. My senior year I was on Dance Company. I loved being able to perform all the different styles again. Concert was absolutely amazing. I can't even remember how many numbers I was in, but the thrill of concert will never be forgotten.


The best part about dancing, is the being able to now teach. My sister has given a wonderful opportunity to teach at her studio Jazzle Dazzle. Each week I get to teach 14 sweet young girls how to dance, and to love it! I also had the opportunity to teach dance when I lived in North Carolina. It was so fun to learn the different things that they learn back there.


I am so glad that my girls share my love for dance. Danaka is turning out to be an amazing dancer. It will be fun to watch where her talent takes her. This is Jayci's first year and loves it. She will even show you her "shuckle step" if you ask.

2 comments:

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

I remember Shriners. That was an amazing opportunity. I have never forgotten it.

You are an incredible dancer! Those girls are so lucky to have such an amazing teacher!

mstolp said...

That's awesome! Pamela's is where I first started tap dance, but that only lasted a year. Dance Biz really got me going for dance! After that went to Starz Unlimited where I started clogging. Been there for 6 years.
Dance is awesome isn't it? It allows you to get your feelings out through movement. Thanks for this post Mindi! It helped me remember just how grateful I am to have dance in my life.