Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Day 3 of Thanks…



Day 3 of Thanks…


Before I start this post, please know that these are in no particular order of what I view as most important to least important. I put several items and literally draw them out of a jar to write about. I did start with my girls on purpose but everything else is totally random.


With that being said, today's was destined to be!


Today I am thankful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.


It has taken me a long time to get where I am today. I feel that I am finally in a place that I have always wanted to be and it has brought me so much happiness.


I have great examples in my family. They truly have shown me how important it is to have the gospel in your life.


I am not going to pretend that I am a spiritual giant, because anyone that knows me knows that is almost the exact opposite. I have struggled with this aspect of my life always. Sometimes my faith and devotion have been strong and other times it has almost been non-existent. I have always believed in the Church, I even married in the temple, but I didn't live the way I was supposed to mostly out of fear. There is more to that feeling, but it is not something that I feel I can explain right now. I remember that after Greg left the last place I wanted to be was church. It was the ward he grew up in and I was just not ready for the questions. I just didn't have it in me to go. I pretended to be happy for a long time, but I wasn't really happy and felt myself sinking further and further.


I am so grateful for an incredible woman, that without her listening to a prompting of the spirit, I don't know that I would be where I am today. Kathy Johnson serves as Relief Society President in our ward. I have known Kathy since I was in 9th grade. She was a good friend's mom and like a second mom to Greg. She truly is a remarkable person. In March of 09 I was called to serve as a teacher in Relief Society. I remember meeting with the Bishop for the first time since he had been called. I was going to church here and there, so when he extended the call to me, I sat there and thought SERIOUSLY??? There is no way that I am capable of fulfilling this calling. That night when I said my prayers the strongest feelings came over me, 1 being that Kathy listened to the spirit and that I was called by our Heavenly Father to be a teacher. I can honestly say if I were Kathy I would have ran from that feeling. I am the last person that should have been called. The second feeling was to calm me of my feelings of inadequacy. I wondered how on earth I was going to "teach" women that I view as spiritual giants. I had a feeling and truly believe it now, that I learned more from that calling then I taught anyone. I truly am grateful for Kathy and will always be grateful for her loving nature and the fact that she listened to the spirit. She will never know how much I really do think of her.


I was sad to be released in April of this year. But when I was called as First Counselor in Young Women's I was so happy. Once again another Kathy listened to the spirit and has given me the opportunity to be with Danaka, to serve incredible Young Women, and to serve with great leaders.


I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ and all the joy and reassurance it brings to my life. I know that I will be with my girls forever, and hopefully I will have the opportunity to marry again and have an eternal companion. I love my Heavenly Father and his Son. Without the atonement of Jesus Christ, I have no clue where I would be. I love the gospel and love that I have finally had the strength and faith to do what I know I need to.

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love you so much and look forward to the day that we have a gno to the temple, let's make it happen!! You are SO strong and I admire you in so many ways!

Cyleste said...

I love this post Mindi! You have come so far. I'm sure you will be blessed with the wonderful things you want AND deserve.

mstolp said...

Mindi, I love you so much! You're awesome! I am so glad you serve in our Young Womens group! You are AMAZING!!!!!!

kath said...

love you much

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

Thank you. Thank you for putting this down so I could read it this morning.
I love you! I can't wait to hear more.

Anonymous said...

You amaze me at the strength and devotion you have. I look up to you and pray that one day I too can be at least 1/4 of the Mom, Sister, Daughter, Friend, and Individual that you are.

Thank you for this post today. Totally needed it. =)