Thursday, January 8, 2009

Christmas Eve

We have a tradition that every year on Christmas eve we meet at my grandma's for a small dinner, and then head to the cemetary to decorate my grandpa's grave. We have done this every year since he passed and I love the feeling that it brings when we are there.


My sweet Nana, braving the cold Kindof!




After the cememtary we head to my mom's to open our Christmas pjs, and read stories. My mom and dad buy the girls a Christmas book and they all take a turn reading their stories. This year my brother had a little idea to throw a twist in. My parents had a St Bernard named Chopin for 13 years. We had Christmas pictures taken with Chopy every year. SO muuch fun walking through the mall with a 150 lb dog and having him slobber on anyone and everything. Anyway my mom has wanted a dog ever since chopy passed but they have just put it off for different reasons the last couple of years. My dad even told me before we went to the cemetary that if we bought them anything that was alive, that we better be able to take it back. My brother's fiance's uncle breeds labs, so my brother thought it would be great to play a joke a bring my mom a nem pup, knowing how my dad feels about getting "live" things for Christmas we were just waiting for the words to start flying. When we brought the dog in, my dad held his cool but was not happy about it. The little dog named Moose loved my dad, he jumped on his lap and gave him kisses and everything. My dad didn't find it too cute. My mom loved him, and would have kept him. When we finally told them after a half hour that it was a joke, my dad's holdai spirit seemed to perk right up, that is until moose decided to pee on everything!!! At least it was a joke huh Dad.
Mr Moose himself


After my mom's we came home, read out traditional "Twas the night before Christmas" and it was off to bed, well at least for the girls. I think it was about 2:00 when my head finally hit the pillow, just to have to wake up at 5:00. What would Christmas eve be without procrastination.

1 comment:

Amander said...

Sounds like a lovely tradition!

Also, that is so funny about giving your parents that dog! We thought about doing the same thing to my brother and sister-in-law - just to give them a scare!