Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Gramps!

Today marks 15 years since my "gramps" died. It is crazy to think that he has been gone longer, than I knew him here on earth.
My "gramps" was an amazing person. He was so involved in everything that we did. He was at all the dance performances, softball, baseball, basketball football games (the list could go on), that there were.


There are so many funny stories that we all tell about grandpa....one of my favorites was he always would tell us grand daughters when we said something that we shouldn't or were sneaking around the corner to watch his old war movies with him that"pretty little girls don't do that".


We were talking the other day about memories of staying at my grandpa and grandma's (nana's) house and the distinct smell of Old Spice and Aquanet hairspray that would flow through the house when my grandpa got ready to leave for work. It is amazing that the mind can still recall that exact smell, and you swear that you can smell it.


My gramps was Sheriff of Salt Lake County for years. We had so many opportunities to be in parades and other things with him. I also got to be in a "Buckle Up" poster with him and my cousin. I can still remember that day, our new t-shirts, meeting the other kids that were going to be in the poster with dad's, uncles and grandpas. I remember getting to spend a lot of time with him that day. And by the way not to distract from the post.... but to my aunts and my mom if you are reading this...I need a copy of that!



I was thinking back to his funeral, and I remember the one person that spoke stated that he remembered a time that my grandpa was interrogating someone and the other person sitting by his office door, waiting to go in was so scared listening to him that he peed his pants...but when my grandpa walked out of his office, he just smiled and acted like nothing!!



My grandpa was a hard worker, he love to hunt everything he could, he loved to fish, but I think he loved spending time with his family the most.


As time goes on, I wish more and more he were here. I could use his strength and knowledge on so many things in my life. I could use another 1lb meatball, instructions on how to fish, and the big bear hugs with his scruff that he use to give. I know that he is with me and that I will get to see him again, but today proves that the heart never really heals, it just learns how to go on.
Here are just some pics of my gramps and things he enjoyed doing. I love you gramps.....

4 comments:

Amander said...

Wow, such a cool post. It brought tears to my eyes!

Your grandpa sounds like an amazing person. Thank you for sharing!

Sovic Clan said...

Your Grandpa sounds so great! What a neat post!

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

How neat to have all of these pictures in one place to remember him.
I actually remember you talking about him. He was involved in some very high profile cases.
What a tough gramps to have! I am sure he is VERY missed.

Tiffany said...

I think we started being friends right around the time of his death? If not I remember you talking about him often and going to your "nana"'s house for some big family party, you have an awesome family! Great post, call me please I miss you!!