Saturday, March 6, 2010

Day 1 - Week 1

I knew I was out of shape, but not as bad as I proved myself to be yesterday.

I started out with the walking portion as it says to for the first 5 minutes. A "brisk" walk as it was called. I kept thinking this isn't bad, I am doing okay. Now it was on to the first "2 minute" run, the "trainer" kept telling me to keep it at a pace that when the next walk came that I would be able to catch my breathing and feel ready to run after the 3 minutes. I was ready to be done, but I didn't I pushed my way through, made it through my next 3 minutes and was on to the 2nd "2 minute" run. I once again pushed through this, but if I am being honest with myself I was already hurtin'. Seriously?

I kept pushing, but I didn't make it through my 3rd run or the 4th and final run. I "briskly" walked the rest of the time.

Are you kidding me? I couldn't even make it through 29 minutes of training. How on earth am I going to be able to ever go 30 minutes jogging/running without walking or resting?

So from any runners out there....any advice?

7 comments:

MY KIDS, MY LIFE, OUR STORY! said...

Friend,
I couldn't even run a mile when I started running over two years ago. Keep with it and your body will get there and you will be able to go longer. I would push my myself each week to just do a little more than I did the week before. Then by the end of the week it didn't seem as bad as it was in the beginning. Good luck and stick with it friend, because it is so worth it! You are worth it!!!

Amander said...

I'm not in running shape anymore, but I miss it. It takes so much work to ge there, and you can do it! Just do what you can and push yourself when you feel you can. You're doing great already!

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

If that is all you could do....that is OK and even GOOD!
Your endurance will build. I would try adding in a little more running each time. Soon enough you will be doing the walk/run training at full pace. I promise.

Eat an apple a few hours before (or the night before), it is a great carb to help you push through.
Stick with it and keep us posted!!

Kelli said...

Hey Mindi...

Yay!! I began running three years ago.. It today is still the hardest thing I do but I love it. My biggest advice is if you are running on a treadmill buy music video's and put them on your ipod. There is something about watching a music video for me that helps me push through it and I forget about the time.. Are you doing the Salt Lake 5K??? There are soo many people cheering you on that they help you push through, good luck and don't quit!! If you need any advice just let me know or a running partner!!!

Tiffany said...

The only other thing I would say is to mix it up where you run, especially if you're just doing timed runs and aren't too concerned with mileage. Also if you're running on a treadmill, fun movies like Chicago and Hairspray can help you keep your mind off what you're doing!! Oh how I hope you become addicted like I did!! ;)
How much fun would it be to a marathon together?!? Okay just promise me we will do a 5k once I have this baby!!

Lori Cartwright said...

Mindi--I am MUCH older than you and I don't try to push myself too hard because I want to keep running for a long time. I use Jeff Galloway's run/walk method--even in races. I run for 4 minutes and walk for 1. The theory behind it is that you can maintain a faster pace over a longer period of time--essential when I'm doing marathon training! I ran a race in Florida with Lynnette and was running under 9 minute miles and still doing walk breaks. Lynnette uses this method, too, and really likes it. You should get one of his books. If you want to run without the walk breaks, go at a slower pace and just add an additional minute of running each time. Good luck!

mstolp said...

Love ya Mindi!
www.meghanlcblog.blogspot.com (my blog)

www.journeyasfriends.blogspot.com (Sarah,Mine and Kelseys blog)